*Click on the photo for more info on a heart healthy diet.
- Asparagus is related to onions, leeks, and garlic.
- It takes asparagus three years to grow from seed to harvest.
- Oceana County, Michigan is the self-proclaimed asparagus capital of the world.
- One of the most popular varieties of green asparagus is named after Martha Washington, the wife of George Washington.
- California grows about 70% of all the asparagus grown in the United States.
- More than 50,000 tons of asparagus are grown in California every year.
- White asparagus comes from the same plant as green asparagus, but it is grown underground to block sunlight and prevent photosynthesis, thus inhibiting production of chlorophyll.