We all know that we are supposed to drink water, but do we know why? Water is extremely important to our health, yet many are still not getting enough. So go grab a glass of water and read about all the important roles that it plays.
- Water can boost energy. Dehydration can make you feel tired. So if you’re feeling groggy mid-day, try water before heating the coffee pot back up.
- Proper hydration improves heart function helping deliver oxygen and nutrients to cells more efficiently.
- Proper hydration helps you avoid muscle cramps and improves the efficiency of your workouts.
- Water improves your complexion. Proper hydration of skin cells canimprove the plumpness of your skin.
- Proper hydration improves digestion. Dehydration can increase constipation.
- And also, proper hydration helps prevent kidney stones.
Remember that the brain has a hard time differentiating hunger from thirst. So if you are slightly dehydrated, you might interpret that as “I’m hungry.”
Not sure if you’re drinking enough? Check the potty! If your urine is clear or light yellow, you are most likely well hydrated. If your urine starts to turn a darker yellow or have an odor, it’s time for some more water!
– Erin Wiedmar, clinical nutritionist, N Good Health