Walking is one of the easiest, yet most beneficial forms of exercise. Walking for as little as 30 minutes a day can improve heart and lung fitness, support bone health, alleviate joint pain, fight stress and burn fat.
With so many great health benefits at stake, we want walking to be accessible to employees 365 days a year. That’s why our N Good Health team is excited to announce the completion of updates to three indoor walking paths conveniently located at Norton Healthcare facilities.
Click below for the indoor walking paths at the following facilities. For any questions, please reach out to one of your facility Wellness Champions or Dannielle Hadaway of the N Good Health team at Dannielle.Hadaway@Nortonhealthcare.org.
Norton Women’s and Children’s Hospital Walking Path
CPA Lab on Breckenridge Ln. Walking Path
Track your hard work!
Whether walking through your neighborhood, a nearby park or along one of our facility walking paths, track your steps on NGoodHealth.com to measure progress and help you reach goals. The N Good Health website also includes instructions for synching your fitness devices for even easier step tracking.
We know it’s good for us so let’s talk about how to incorporate it into our days. Everyone is different so if your baseline is 2000 steps, trying to shoot for 7500 steps tomorrow may feel daunting and could possibly lead to injury. Set reasonable goals and progress slowly to your ultimate target of 7500 daily steps. If you are already achieving a minimum of 7500 steps daily, think of what level you would like to reach and start increasing your steps by 10 to 20% each day to reach a higher goal.
Don’t have time to walk the walking path at work? Here are some ideas to increase your daily steps:
- Park your car far from the entrance of work or the store
- After loading your groceries in the car, walk your cart all the way back into the store instead of parking it in the corral
- Schedule a “walking meeting” with an associate and take a clipboard or small notebook to take notes on if needed
- Walk to your coworker’s desk to ask a question instead of sending an email and stroll to the printer to pick up your copies
- Pick the restroom or water fountain that is farthest from your work station
- Enjoy a pre- or post-dinner walk around the neighborhood
- Put on your favorite tunes and shake your groovy to the beat of the music
- Walk along while the kids ride their bikes or walk around the field while they play their sport
- Meet for a coffee/drink date and take it for a walk
- Volunteer at a local animal shelter/veterinarian/doggy day care and walk dogs for them if you don’t have your own dog to walk
- If you ride the bus, get off a stop early or get on a stop later
- Walk around the house during commercials if you watch television
Looking for a change of scenery?
Explore the many parks and trails Louisville has to offer. Maybe pick one from this list to visit each weekend. Get creative, break any sedentary habits and enjoy the health benefits of walking each day.